Important Characteristics of a Travel Insurance Policy
International trips are always exciting. You see new landscapes, try new delicacies and experience new cultures. So, if you are planning an exciting international trip, congratulations! Make sure you pack your back right and tight. Do not forget your important documents, and also do consider buying suitable travel insurance policy.
Travel insurance is not mandatory unless you are visiting certain countries. For example, you may not need travel insurance for Thailand but if you are travelling to the Schengen area, travel insurance is an obligation.
Travel insurance helps you deal with complications during your trip and allow you to enjoy it without worrying about unprecedented situations like medical emergencies, loss of baggage, and so on.
But how to buy the best travel policy? What are the characteristics to look for?
There are several important travel insurance features that need to be considered at the time of making a purchase. Keep reading to find out!
Why Is Travel Insurance Important?
Travelling is fun and enjoyed by almost everyone. It offers a lot of excitement and an opportunity to explore different places and meet new people. But wherever we go, there is always an unknown threat that keeps bothering us. What if I get injured? What if my passport gets stolen? What if I lose my baggage? The best answer to all these questions is — get travel insurance!
Travel insurance provides coverage against a variety of unprecedented events that may occur during a trip. These include medical emergencies, theft, loss of baggage, and more. In other words, it provides the necessary financial support you might need because of any unanticipated situation during your travel. For these reasons, having travel insurance is very important.
In fact, some countries consider it a mandatory requirement for international visitors. It means if you don’t have travel insurance, your visa will never be approved.
What Are the Most Important Features of Travel Insurance?
- Coverage Against Medical Emergencies : One of the most important travel insurance features is the comprehensive coverage it provides against medical emergencies faced by the policyholder during his trip. In other words, the right travel insurance policy compensates you for your treatment that may arise due to any unforeseen medical emergency.
In fact, top insurers like Tata AIG offer a cashless treatment facility which allows you to get your treatment at any network hospital empanelled by the insurance provider.
- Coverage Against Personal Damage/ Third-party Liability : Travel insurance may also offer cover if you have accidentally caused an injury or loss to someone and they choose to sue you. Further, it can also help you receive financial compensation in case you get injured in an accident involving a third party.
- Coverage Against Loss of Baggage/ Personal Belongings : Another key characteristic of a travel insurance plan is the coverage it provides for the loss of baggage or personal belongings. This means if you end up losing your baggage or any other valuable item like your mobile phone or jewellery, your policy will help you get reimbursed up to a certain limit as per the travel insurance terms.
- Coverage Against Theft/ Burglary : Thieves and burglars are everywhere, regardless of how strict the regulations are. But if you have a travel policy, you don’t need to worry about this. The reason is most travel insurance policies today offer good coverage against theft or burglary. Therefore, if your stuff is stolen, your insurance provider will compensate you up to a certain limit.
- Coverage for Trip Cancellation : Not all trip plans are successful. In case the organiser cancels your upcoming trip or if you are unable to travel due to any unavoidable situation, the right travel policy will compensate for it. This is one of the reasons why it is recommended to get travel insurance as soon as you have booked your holiday. In case your trip is delayed or cancelled, you can choose to cancel the insurance without any penalties.
- Hassle-free Claims Settlement : Here is another important travel insurance feature: the best travel insurance comes with a hassle-free claims settlement process. It means you don’t have to wait for weeks and even months to settle your claim.
Besides, most reliable insurance providers offer cashless claims settlement which is highly convenient, and you don’t have to pay anything from your pocket in case of medical emergencies.
Not all travel insurance policies you come across are worth purchasing. And having a wrong insurance plan is as good as having no insurance. This is the reason why it is important to choose your travel insurance plan carefully. We have discussed all the important travel insurance features that need to be considered at the time of selecting the best policy. Hope it helps!